Does your site suffer from one of these obvious issues?
- non-optimized (huge images, bloated code)
What about one of these not-so-obvious issues?
- doesn’t read well
- lacks uniqueness
- suffers from B.U.S.S. (Butt Ugly Site Syndrome)
Obvious, or “no duh” (ND), issues are easy to diagnose. Anyone can look at your site and see that it’s broken, slow, or can’t be read on a phone. ND issues usually don’t last very long.
Not-so-obvious (NO) issues are subjective, and much harder to fix. Why? Because NO issues go untreated longer.
Why do they go untreated?
And what’s the real issue here?
Lack of perspective.
As in, you may be too close to your site to know if it’s suffering from NO issues. Because it’s your site, you probably like it—or, you did, once upon a time—and so you tend to overlook some of the issues it has.
It’s like having the ugliest dog on the block, and you think he’s cute.
So what do you do to get perspective on your website?
Get it shredded, by yours truly.
Shredded Coconut is a service where I run your site through an extensive checklist of factors, from usability to tech to design, and give you a thorough report of what it’s doing well, and what it’s not.
I’ll look at the “no duh’s” and the “not-so-obvious'” and give it to you straight — along with suggestions for what you can do to improve. Think of it as a website evaluation tool with a personal touch.
What kinds of things do you look for?
I’ll go through your site from head to tail, looking at over a dozen different areas. Some examples:
- Purpose: Is it clear what you do, and what readers can get from you?
- Is anything immediately off-putting or confusing?
- Do you make it clear what they should do and where they should go to get your goods?
- Branding: Is it clear who you are, and why you’re special?
- Can people easily get in touch with you?
- Is anything broken?
- Design: does the site feel current, or old?
- Are you using site elements consistently, or is it all a jumble?
- Is your site unique, or vanilla?
- Tech: Is your host killing your chances of having a fast site?
- Is your theme?
- Is your content?
- Is your code rife with errors, and sabotaging your site’s performance?
- Navigation: Does it make sense?
- Can people find what they need? Or what you want them to find?
- Content: Is your site engaging, or putting readers to sleep? (They don’t actually go to sleep; they just leave and never return.)
- How’s your typography? Are you using it well?
- Can people actually understand what you’re saying, or are you speaking your own language/jargon?
Bottom line: is your site making classic blunders, or is it on top of its game? Either way, you need to know, or you could be losing your audience before you even get a chance to know them.
What’s included in a Shred?
Shreds come in two sizes: Small and Large.
Small Shreds give you a quick look at the top design factors that can make your site confusing or hard for readers to understand, as well as tips on how to improve your design to make it more enjoyable and easier to digest.
You’ll receive a video walkthrough of your site that highlights the most pressing issues to address in order to make your site better.
Large Shreds dive deep with a more-than-70-point checklist that covers a dozen different areas, from usability to design to content to technical issues, with in-depth video coverage and a written summary.
More than just design, Large Shreds will look at “under the hood” factors that can slow you site down, make it unusable on different platforms and devices, and give you suggestions for how to speed it up, clean it up, and make it sparkle.
Great for redesigns, too
If you’re thinking of getting your site redesigned, a Small Shred will help open your eyes to what kinds of things you should pay attention to, and how to not repeat the same mistakes you’re currently making. A Large Shred will take it further, giving you an insider’s look at what makes a site tick, and will illuminate the path to website greatness.
Not sure which Shred you need?
Small Shreds are primarily design-focused, include a video walkthrough, and cost $129.
Large Shreds cover design, usability, and a tech-focused view, include a video walkthrough and a written digest, and cost $299.
If you get a Small and later want a Large, no problem! If you order a Large within 30 days of getting a Small, I’ll deduct the cost of the Small from your Large. Cool, huh?
(Okay, all this talk of small and large coconuts is getting me hungry.)